Sunday, August 28, 2011

Gone canning crazy

This summer we worked our butts off and made a little garden....turns out my little garden is doing pretty dang good. We planted stuff that we had hopes of making yummy stuff with, like salsa , sweet jalapenos, and pickles. 

We've been bringing in this much stuff every couple of days!! 


Once we started talking about canning my husband kind of took on a whole new adventure. He's gone crazy I think. I come home from work one day and he's bought all these gadgets for canning, tons of plums for plum jam, and everything and anything that we might need. 

Before I know it he's put me to work pealing dang plums!!! 


Look at all this stuff he got!!! I told you he lost it. 


and there's the new canning pot that was a must have for Ken. 


Here is our goods from our first day of canning. Plum and jalapeno jam. 


The second day of canning didn't go so well for me. This was pickle making day. I did great cutting up the cucumbers for dill pickle spears, but then I busted out the NEW slicer Ken bought to slice up cucumbers for bread and butter pickles......turns out that @%$#%$ is sharp!!! 

Got too close with my thumb and sliced off a good chunk of it. OHHHH MAN!!!!


There is the devil itself


Ken did a great job patching me up and calming me down. I don't do well with seeing my own blood. We always make fun of Ken because he has this tackle box full of medical stuff for his first aid kit....gotta say I was loving that kit today!  

I didn't end up being much help after that but Ken pushed on with the pickle making. This is just from a couple days worth of cucumbers from our garden. I'm so excited!! (and don't worry the stupid slicer was thoroughly washed and I went no where near it after that so the pickles aren't contaminated.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment